Getting involved in waste management of the future
I went to the library tonight to read thorough the "Alternatives to" WastePlan document. Wasteplan (www.wasteplan.ca) deals with how we (Niagara and Hamilton) are going to deal with the solid waste (post diversion) from approximately 2013 and beyond. The draft document deals with the "alternatives to" in which we are to pick which technology we are going to use. The consultants have put out a draft document that identifies thermal technology with the addition of additional removal of metal recyclables. Public comment ends on February 6th so I got to work on this some more this weekend so I can submit on monday. I think we are going to get opposition no matter what is picked so I'll be fun to see if the public will sway the draft decision.
(For more background: I am a voltunteer for the Region of Niagara's Waste Management Advisory Committee (WMAC). This is a 3 year volunteer position (have done 1 1/2 years already) to be on this citizens committee to help represent all of Niagara as a consistent body that is familiar with what is going on with the Class Environmental Assessment that the Region of Niagara and the City of Hamilton are undertaking called Wasteplan.)
Sorry if you think this boring but it's important to be involved in what will happen in your/your children's future. The environment isn't getting any better as time goes on so we have to try to reverse/change the effects that we have as a Region and also as part of the global body. Reading and commenting on projects such as WastePlan will help us to change how we as a society deal with our solid waste.
Otherwise, today was an early day and Kendra had two naps but still was cranky a lot of the day. My back is quite sore from carrying her. She must be gaining weight, which is good. We just stayed home all day.
Jamie's eye is much better today. He says it doesn't itch as much as it used to and hence it's not swollen anymore.

1 Comments:
Definitely not boring Heather, I commend your action in such a vital role in our community! I appreciate what you and others like you advocate to protect our environment. You set an awesome example!!
Glad Jamie's eye is better too!
8:41 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home