Hi! I'm Heather and this a blog of my daily events with my family. It's one place to keep all important details that I'm bound to forget.

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Kids Updates - 5 years old and Kendra 2 1/2

I need to write some stuff down that the kids or doing or I'm going to forget it.

Micah will be 5 years old next week. Wow does the time fly.

Micah loves to play computer games and is quite independant at it. He loves board games too. He loves to play snakes and ladders.

Micah is starting to learn to read. He can pick out some words and I know he could do more if he would spend the time to spell some of them out (most of the time he just guesses). Also, every once in a while, Jamie and I spell things to each other so they don't know what we are talking about. It seems that Micah can pick up on some of the things we say now. We were talking about his birthday party and mentioning that he wanted a Ukalae (anyways I couldn't spell it right but he figured out what the word was). He has done it one other time too but I totally forget what it was.

Micah has started SK. He has the same teacher (Mrs. Block) but he is now in the morning class with 7 other SK's and 14 JK's. Aurora is the only one that was in his class last year. So far he hasn't talked about new friends but it's still early yet.

We are still working on listening skills. Apparently, Micah had a time-out for being silly at circle time at school the other day. He seems to have to be told to do things many many times before he will do it. This morning I told him to get his socks on and then he came down with a toy and not the socks. I think it took me 6 times until he finally got them. We have been late getting Alana to school twice already this week mostly because of him. Sometimes he listens no problem and other times it takes many times. I pray that he shapes up before Grade One starts next year.

Kendra is growing up and my baby is gone. Kendra has stopped napping altogether ever since we got back from our trip (she was doing it on and off before we left). Micah started at about this age but it took him about 6 months to stop napping completely (falling asleep in front of the TV at 4 pm) but Kendra almost seems to have stopped overnight and really doesn't get cranky (which is a nice blessing).

Kendra has moved up into the Toddler bed and she is now staying there (we had a few nights of up and down so we put her back in the crib for a few weeks). We still have the sou-sou (soother) but she is getting better about not having it during the day. She asks for it if she got hurt and only a few other times (maybe she is tired) but otherwise is getting better with it only for night time.

Kendra is mostly pee trained since July. She does have issues with public toilets sometimes though. She doesn't like the flushing noise and some of them are just plain big. One of the first times I had her on a big toilet she wanted to do it herself and the poor girl fell in bum first and couldn't get out. I think she has some justification for the fear. We have been giving her a candy each time she goes (unless we are out). We are still working on the #2 with her but Micah had issues with this too (6 months it took) so I'm trying to be patient with it. We tried to take her pee candies away so she would get them only for going #2 but she just had more pee accidents. We'll just have to wait it out. It was just nice to have her trained so early. Girls, in my experience, are way easier than boys to train.

Kendra really is getting to know her colours really well now. She has trouble with blue, red and green (thought those would be the easiest but no). She just loves pink. She has been asking for "princess dresses" lately and we soon found out that meant a pink dress. This has been going on since last week. So this Sunday I thought it would be easy to get her dressed but no she wanted to wear some black leggings with a purple top. The top was nice at least but she was determined to wear that. Today we are back to princess dresses. Toddlers!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home